January 16, 2016

DATE NIGHT: WILLA JEAN + DISTRICT

We stopped by District: Donuts. Sliders. Brew. for pre-dinner coffee and dessert (for me).  Everyday Adventures Lesson: It's okay to eat dessert first.

Since the king cake donut of the day was sold out,  my next choice was Boston Creme, although the cinnamon roll was pretty.

I read that the donuts at District are made from scratch (even the sprinkles).  That's straight dedication to the donut game.  They also serve made-to-order sliders and brew delicious coffee!
For dinner at Willa Jean (named after the grandmother of pastry chef Kelly Fields), the style was simple, rustic and modern.  I loved all the little details --- honeycomb tiles, Edison light bulbs, fresh flowers, and cute salt and pepper shakers!

The bakery/coffee bar was probably the best feature.  Maybe because, baked good, desserts and coffee are among my favorite things.


Brian had a great idea!  I got a to-go piece of king cake for the next day (since I ate a donut a few hours before and all).  I found the recipe here by baker Lisa White.  It was filled with fresh bananas, salted carmel sauce, mascarpone and topped with a praline glaze and pretty edible gold.  It also made a great breakfast treat for the next couple of days!
On our drive to NOLA, Brian caught up on the latest episode of Serial Season Two.  We navigated the Friday afternoon traffic with minimal sass (from me) and sweet patience (from Brian).  Date nights give us a chance for good conversation and fun.  On the drive home I pulled up Jennie Allen's Dream Guide on my phone (link here) to reflect on life in 2015 and think about our goals for 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comments!

Search