August 12, 2012

MondaySunday Recap: Look Up!

image from Amazon
My hubs continued in the Colossians series with a look at Colossians 3:1-4
He kicked off the sermon with this verse:
11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. (1 Peter 2:11-12)
This world is not my home. I'm an alien. My life is a vapor, here today and gone tomorrow.

One of my favorite points from the sermon:
You are what you think about. (Colossians 3:2).  
Brian mentioned some good things to think about...God's greatness, God's goodness, God's grace, God's blessings, God's mission for our life...instead of sin, hate, gossip, and worry.
Brian reminded us that our JOY is at stake when we consider our thoughts.
Lately I have been consumed with filling up my cup with the Scriptures, good teaching, purposeful conversations, and encouragement...thankful for the joy that God produces in my life when I think about these things.  Although everything around me is far from always "good" --- I still find my hope and JOY in Christ.

Check out the sermon "Look Up" from the Vice Verses series here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comments!

Search